Coconut Steam Cake / Putu Ayu

This is one of Indonesian traditional food, which is my favorite snack, it's so yummy :)

Here are the Ingredients:
2 Cups All Purposed Flour
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
250 ml coconut milk
150 ml water (diluted together with coconut milk)
4 eggs
2 Cups  Grated Coconut (I bought frozen one in asian store) thaw it for 1 hour before.
2 Tsp Emulsifier (I use mine from Indonesia) Koepoe SP
1/2 tsp green food dye paste
Salt to taste


 And you need the cake molds which is very different than any molds in the US, when I made the first time I use single silicon cupcake molds it works fine, but I feel incomplete because the shape was not the same what the original Putu Ayu Cake molds. I'm lucky enough to have good friends around that brought me the original cake molds I wanted. So here are the instruction to make it :)

 #1 the preparation




It really is take time to make this cakes, but it's worth it )
Set a side the prepared molds and make the dough.
Mix the eggs, sugar & emulsifier until fluffy and white (make sure like that, if not the cake won't turn right)
then put in the flour & coconut milk gradually until it all blended and have heavy liquid texture. Add the green dye paste and mix well.
Preheat the steamer on stove I use #4
Pour each mold with cake dough, this recipe makes about 40 cakes.
Insert the molds to preheated steamers and steam for 25 minutes.
If you use electric steamer put on 25 minutes.


































Tips
Do not use the fire that is too large so that the steamer is not too hot so that it can cause the cake broke.
In order for coconut can look neat and attractive, use a fairly young coconut and time put into the mold with a slight pressure to a solid.




























There you have it :) Happy steaming!!

Comments

Popular Posts